TSGS Cruiser Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

From the FIRST MATE's
PHOTO ALBUM...

Payton Lewis Found
He was missing for 2 months!


Today's blog is a combination of photos, newspaper clippings, a mystery and part of my personal family history.

(Click on clippings to get a readable view of the news stories)Body found about one mile south of Vincennes, Indiana on the Illinois side of the Wabash River on the bank. "The cause of death is unknown." He had been dead for several months with identification made by means of a knife & coin purse found in his pockets.

My 3rd. Great Grandfather was Joseph O. Lewis (Margaret Mattingly - my 3rd. Great Grandmother). Payton Lewis was a half brother to my 2nd. Great Grandmother Susan Apalone Lewis who married Arthur Sylvester Mays. He was basically lost to my line of this family. We had no idea what happened to him or where he lived. An email from someone lead me to these news clippings in the Princeton, Indiana public library. Hazelton is not but a short drive from Evansville, yet no one seemed to know anything about him. I suspect his mysterious death with unanswered details may have lessened the talk of him within the family with some thinking that he may have committed suicide.


"Payton Lewis, son of Joe and Katherine Lewis, was born June 3, 1870 --- he departed this life Nov. 25, 1934..." "On October 17, 1894, he was united in marriage..." Her name and that they had 12 children was included. "Mr. Lewis was born and raised in Knox County, Indiana, where he had many friends and a wide acquaintance, having been a veterinarian in his early life."



- Submitted by JGWest

2 comments:

William Armstrong said...

What a tremendous find. This Peyton Lewis has been nothing but a one note entry in my family tree. I descend from Joseph O.'s first marriage to Ann Hinton (their daughter Margaret Matilda).

John G. West said...

Margaret Matilda Lewis married Henry J. Newton according to my records. Cousin, glad you found your way to our blog. Send me a note at jgw.mylines@gmail.com