TSGS Cruiser Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Historic Cemetery

'

Oak Hill Cemetery of Evansville, Indiana...

was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior in 2004. This small plaque is posted in front of the Cemetery Administration Building. When I took this photo and until I started making this blog, I had thought it was the building being recognized; however, it is the entire cemetery! Which is even better.
Since I had thought it was the building, I searched for quite some time this morning to find some decent photos in my digital library. Then I actually read the plaque! Therefore, I will show some of the pics that I found of this beautiful building.


Above is a close-up of the bell tower that is still used today as a funeral procession comes into the cemetery. Note: in 1986-87 when I was the Cemetery Manager, the bell was not in operation and the cemetery played bells tolling on a PA system broadcast nearly as the bell rings today. I am very pleased it is in operation again.
Here are a few links for more info & photos of the Cemetery:
- Photos taken & submitted by JGWest (March 2005)

No comments: