TSGS Cruiser Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tombstone Thursday - Flatt

.



Riggsby Cemetery
Sumner County, Tennessee



Roe Tilden Flatt
1873-1957

The funeral home grave placement plaque is still present (see lower right). The Barber Funeral Home plaque is in excellent shape considering it is 54 years old! This plaque lists Roe's full name as "Roe Tilden Flatt" - I was telling a good long-time friend, Edna Kasper, last night that I had found this gravesite that has my 2nd. Great Grandmother in the next grave... she pointed out that "Roe" & "Tilden" are surnames! I suspected Tilden, but had not thought about Roe. I immediately remembered that I know a family named Roe! This use of surnames may be the result of many possibilities; however, it is not uncommon to name children using surnames of the family. As I research, I will look for these family names.

- Photo taken & submitted by JGWest

[Tombstone Thursday is dedicated in memory of Donald G. West 1952-2000]

No comments: