TSGS Cruiser Blog

Friday, June 29, 2012

Judging County Fair 4-H Genealogy Exhibit Notebooks

'

Warrick County brought me notebooks entered by six 4-H members in the Genealogy Project for me to judge for the county fair.  This was last Friday, but I still have about 2 hours to finish evaluating the last ones to judge.  Today Gibson County delivered ten 4-H'ers exhibit notebooks to be judged. The entry for Division 5 in Gibson County looks very nice and has six 3-inch notebooks!  It takes about 30 minutes on average to judge one exhibitor's notebooks... it will take me 4-8 hours to go through the Gibson County exhibits.  But, believe me, judging these exhibits is a labor of love!

I have been judging county exhibits for the last 30 or so years and the Indiana State Fair exhibits for Div. 3 over the last five years.  Having the opportunity to judge at the State Fair is like a super big honor!  I have been involved with 4-H since I was a new first-year member at age 10 about 55 years ago.  It is a great youth organization and I am glad there is a 4-H Genealogy Project.  I served as the Vanderburgh County 4-H Genealogy Project Superintendent for about 25 years.  For the Tri-State Genealogical Society, I serve as the 4-H Coordinator and present awards in four counties in southwest Indiana for 4-H'ers enrolled in the genealogy project.  For the Indiana Society Sons of the American Revolution, I serve as the State Chair of the 4-H Youth Awards.

I can still remember how I felt as a ten-year-old going to the 4-H County Fair for the first time and at age 65 this is always an exciting time of the year!

- Written by JGWest

No comments: