[The following was on Dick Eastman's newsletter today http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2012/06/1940-census-project-indexing-is-now-75-percent-complete.html]:
A report Friday by Dennis Brimhall, CEO of Family Search, said the volunteers indexing the 1940 U S Federal Census are well ahead of schedule. More than 137,000 volunteers are creating the indexes, with that number growing by nearly 1,000 indexers a day.
At last report:
- 105,522,592 names have been indexed and arbitrated.
- 29 states have searchable indexes on FamilySearch.org. These states include Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
- 2 additional states are 100% indexed and arbitrated and are in the final stage of preparation for posting.
- 6 additional states are 75% or more indexed and arbitrated. To see the status of each state visit the 1940 US Census state-by-state progress map on the FamilySearch website.
- The 1940 US Census is 75% indexed and arbitrated.
- 143,086 indexers have signed up to index the 1940 US Census.
|Son||Gaither G West||M||21||KY|
|Daughter||Doris V West||F||17||KY|
|Roomer||Edgar Lee Gilkey||M||43||KY|