TSGS Cruiser Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

James Bethel Gresham

'

James Bethel Gresham...

On 03 Nov 1917, he became the first American fatality for World War I. This Memorial Day weekend we should all remember all of our family that have gone before us, but we need to remember the soldiers who served our country and the many that gave their lives for the United States of America!

I apologize for the quality of these photos that I took at the Evansville Museum, but I hope it is good enough to show how a community can remember a fallen soldier.


Below is the Gresham home that is in Evansville Garvin Park. He is buried in Locust Hill Cemetery.


- Photos taken & submitted by JGWest

4 comments:

Claudette (Ricketts) Pfingston said...

I took a tour of this home by Garvin Park while I was in grade school during a school trip. We walked through the home. One of my past memories I won't forget. Thanks for sharing.

Claudette

Anonymous said...

James is my mother's nephew. As all gold star mothers, his mom Alice Hinton Gresham Dodd was proud and brave, and filled with sadness at his loss. We came from California and visited his grave and his mother's cottage that the community built for her. We are proud of both of them.

Disgusted said...

James mother's name is Alice Hinton Bethel (maiden name Bethel) She married first Green Grisham and Then William T Dodd.
Carolyn Bethel Smith.

Linda said...

My mother-in-law is James' first cousin. I've done a story about him, if anyone might like to read it. I'd be interested in corresponding with any of the relatives.
Linda kaloskie@astound.net or kaloskie1@gmail.com